Fables gets Hard Cover Treatment

Discuss all things Fables

Moderators: Charles Reed, Kelsi Parker

Fables gets Hard Cover Treatment

Postby Bill Willingham » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:50 am

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Since I missed the boat giving you folks the first word on the Fables TV pilot, and possible series to follow, let me try to make up for that by being the first to tell you here, long before you'll see it anyplace else, that Fables will indeed be coming out in hardcover.

The format is what the DC people call the "deluxe" treatment, which is the same format that the Y - the Last Man books are getting. These deluxe hardcovers will come out about once a year, until they are caught up with the current Fables trades.

The first Fables deluxe hardback will come out on or around September of '09, in time for the holidays. It will combine issues 1 - 10, basically the first two collections, Legends in Exile and Animal Farm. No word yet on who will be doing the new covers. The extras that were in the two collections will also be included in the deluxe edition, plus maybe a bit more as well.

You can look at the Y deluxe hardback for a good example of the printing and paper quality and such.

And unlike the Fables TV pilot, I have been and will be very much involved with these deluxe editions.
Bill Willingham
Site Admin

Re: Fables gets Hard Cover Treatment

Postby Eduardo Blake » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:02 pm

Not much to say but

YEY! :)
Eduardo Blake

Postby Peter Shea » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:03 pm

Bill Willingham wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen,

The format is what the DC people call the "deluxe" treatment, which is the same format that the Y - the Last Man books are getting... You can look at the Y deluxe hardback for a good example of the printing and paper quality and such.

Will they have real Corinthian leather??? ;)
Peter Shea

Postby Donald Hargnett » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:11 pm

Peter Shea wrote:
Will they have real Corinthian leather??? ;)

nah, Corinthian is in Sandman.

Good news, though.
He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards."
Donald Hargnett

Postby Bill Willingham » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:35 pm

Peter Shea wrote:Will they have real Corinthian leather?

We're toying with the idea of binding them in real wolf skin -- or maybe lamb skin from lambs that were killed by wild wolves. We're still kicking around ideas. I am of course lying like a (non-flying) rug.
Bill Willingham
Site Admin

Postby Charles Reed » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:36 pm

Good news, indeed. Thanks for giving us the heads up!

Any hint about the extras? I tend to really love introductions, either by "guests" (as was done for the Sandman and Hellboy collections), or by someone more closely associated with the book (writer, artist, editor).

Was the decision to green-light the hardcovers influenced by the announcement of the TV pilot? They might be coming out at about the same time.

Hmm. Now I just need to figure out if I want to keep buying the TPBs in the meantime, or just re-read my floppies until the eventual hardcover comes out. Let's see, if a hardcover is to come out about once a year and cover approximately 10 issues, we might get something like this:

Sep 2009 -- Deluxe Fables V1 (1-10) -- Current issue will be approximately Fables #88
Sep 2010 -- Deluxe Fables V2 (11-18 + 22 ?) -- Current issue will be approximately Fables #100
Sep 2011 -- Delexe Fables V3 (19-21 + 23-29 ?) -- Current issue will be approximately Fables #112
Sep 2012 -- Deluxe Fables V4 (30-41 ?) -- Current issue will be approximately Fables #124
Sep 2013 -- Deluxe Fables V5 (42-50 ?) -- Current issue will be approximately Fables #136
Sep 2014 -- Deluxe Fables V6 (50-59 ?) -- Current issue will be approximately Fables #148
Sep 2015 -- Deluxe Fables V7 (60-69 ?) -- Current issue will be approximately Fables #160
Sep 2016 -- Deluxe Fables V8 (70-81 ?) -- Current issue will be approximately Fables #172

Wow, that's catching up more slowly than I was initially thinking. In fact, it's not catching up at all. It's getting further and further behind. In order to do any "catching up" the hardcovers will have to collect more than 12 issues (assuming Fables continues coming out monthly).

I don't know if I'm going to want wait for the hardcover. But at the same time, I would love to have the series in hardcovers. What a dilema.

Charles
Bullfinch Street Irregular #φ
Charles Reed
Time Lord

Postby Ian Westhoff » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:46 pm

Great news! I will definitely buy these, then use my soft cover trades for loaners when people want to try the book out.

Glad for the extras to be included, and I look forward to hearing what the new content will be.

Will these be sort of remastered? Making sure the colors are nice and vibrant, or are they still in good shape since coloring is a bit more advanced than back in the day?
Ian Westhoff Bullfinch Street Irregular 523

"He that can have patience can have what he will"- Benjamin Franklin
Ian Westhoff

Postby Charles Reed » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:49 pm

Ian Westhoff wrote:Will these be sort of remastered? Making sure the colors are nice and vibrant, or are they still in good shape since coloring is a bit more advanced than back in the day?

Or like maybe fixing that one panel in Animal Farm where it looks like Snow White is wearing a cupless bra?

8-)
Charles Reed
Time Lord

Postby Bill Willingham » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:51 pm

Charles Reed wrote:Or like maybe fixing that one panel in Animal Farm where it looks like Snow White is wearing a cupless bra?

Yes, I would very much like to get that fixed.
Bill Willingham
Site Admin

Postby Mark Buckingham » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:31 pm

Ian Westhoff wrote:Great news!

Will these be sort of remastered? Making sure the colors are nice and vibrant, or are they still in good shape since coloring is a bit more advanced than back in the day?

Simply printing on a better quality paper will hugely enhance the look of the books... we may fix the odd mistake but I doubt it will be necessary to re color.
If you ever see any of the european editions you'll see for yourself the huge difference it makes.
Lee's colors explode off the page in the Spanish editionns.
I can't wait :)

Bucky
x
Mark Buckingham

Postby Ian Westhoff » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:34 pm

Sounds good, can't wait till this trade is in my hands.

Ian Westhoff

Postby Mark Buckingham » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:35 pm

Bill Willingham wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen,

Since I missed the boat giving you folks the first word on the Fables TV pilot, and possible series to follow, let me try to make up for that by being the first to tell you here, long before you'll see it anyplace else, that Fables will indeed be coming out in hardcover.

The format is what the DC people call the "deluxe" treatment, which is the same format that the Y - the Last Man books are getting. These deluxe hardcovers will come out about once a year, until they are caught up with the current Fables trades.

The first Fables deluxe hardback will come out on or around September of '09, in time for the holidays. It will combine issues 1 - 10, basically the first two collections, Legends in Exile and Animal Farm. No word yet on who will be doing the new covers. The extras that were in the two collections will also be included in the deluxe edition, plus maybe a bit more as well.

You can look at the Y deluxe hardback for a good example of the printing and paper quality and such.

And unlike the Fables TV pilot, I have been and will be very much involved with these deluxe editions.

Bill,
I'm very excited to hear this is now officially happening. I really hope we can find space for extras like character designs, un uesd art, and extracts from your scripts etc.
Bucky
x
Mark Buckingham

Postby Ian Westhoff » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:53 pm

Unused art and story excerpts would be a great set of extras.

Ian Westhoff

Postby muteddragon » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:55 pm

I want to see more scripts. Esp. parts when Bill threatens Bucky.
To pull a \/\/e/\/ \/\/e/\/: to make readers question assumptions, i.e. that the characters are normal humans, that Guardians are the good guys etc.
Bullfinch Street Irregular #µ Sur: [Ya/\/g]
muteddragon

Postby Héctor Gómez » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:28 pm

I don't know if this it's a good new or a bad new.

Good new: New edition for fables in a really pretty hardcover style.
Bad new: I want this edition, too, but that will be too much for my economy and room's space.
Who Are YOU?
-Alice thinks Caterpillar always be desagreeable

Bullfinch Street Irregular #17 - Fighting against the Empire in Spanish lands
Héctor Gómez

Postby Peter Shea » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:09 pm

Ian Westhoff wrote:Unused art and story excerpts would be a great set of extras.

How about a running commentary from the characters themselves? :)

BIGBY WOLF: "The girl they got to be my Alaskan lover was a lovely young woman--I hear she is up for a role in the next "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" graphic novel."
Peter Shea

Postby Charles Reed » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:03 pm

Peter Shea wrote:
Ian Westhoff wrote:Unused art and story excerpts would be a great set of extras.

How about a running commentary from the characters themselves? :)

BIGBY WOLF: "The girl they got to be my Alaskan lover was a lovely young woman--I hear she is up for a role in the next "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" graphic novel."

Ummmm . . . I'd have to vote no on that.

;-)
Charles Reed
Time Lord

Postby Ian Westhoff » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:22 pm

what of the Original graphic Novel 1001 Nights of Snowfall? Will this too be collected in the Deluxe format? Also, will the Jack of Fables books be done as well?

Ian Westhoff

Postby Brandon Cook » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:56 pm

I have the deluxe editions of Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina. They're pretty solid and pretty, well, pretty to boot. While I rarely prefer hardcovers despite the fact that they're more durable, I've been a sucker time and time again for the Absolute volumes. These books aren't that big, and don't differ as significantly in quality, but they do appeal to the collector's spirit.

Are the Fables deluxe editions really going to be on an annual release? I know Y: The Last Man's first volume came out in October and the next will be released in March, so it's effectively on a bi-annual schedule. On the other hand, Ex Machina's first volume was released in July and the next in line still hasn't appeared for pre-order on Amazon. Maybe they're slowing down the release rate for ongoing series? I don't really see why it matters particularly, as these books don't have competing hardcover releases and go straight to paperback.

In any occasion, it will give me something to look forward to every year.
Brandon Cook

Postby Germán Ramirez » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:21 pm

So that means no Absolute? It'll be good to read Fables on higher quality paper that's the only thing I've whined about with the series.
Germán Ramirez

Next

Return to Fables